What is Habitual Abortion
Habitual abortion is a form of infertility. When miscarriage occurs repeatedly at a certain period of pregnancy, it is termed ‘habitual abortion’. It is sometimes due to chromosome abnormalities or other genetic causes. It is one of the most perplexing problems of gynaecology and a major cause of maternal mortality. A woman who has suffered two or more terminations of this sort -consecutively is said to be a case of habitual abortion.
Symptoms of Habitual Abortion
There are the two main symptoms of Habitual abortion.
- Vaginal bleeding during pregnancy.
- Pains of the same character as labour pains.
Causes of Habitual Abortion
- Deficient functioning of the thyroid.
- Congenital malformation of the uterus.
- Faulty implantation of the fertilized ovum.
- Chronic constipation.
- Hypertension, chronic nephritis and diabetes
- Blood group incompatibility of husband and wife.
- Syphilis infections and fibroid tumors.
Risk factors of Habitual Abortion
Complications of Habitual Abortion
- Excessive vomiting
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Molar pregnancy
Diagnosis of Habitual Abortion
Diagnosis of spontaneous abortion is based on :
- Expulsion of uterine contents
- Pelvic examination
- Laboratory Test
Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) in the blood or urine confirms pregnancy; decreased hCG levels suggest spontaneous abortion or tubal pregnancy. Pelvic examination determines the uterus’size and whether this size is consistent with the pregnancy’s length. Tissue histology indicates evidence of products of conception. Laboratory tests reflect decreased hemoglobin levels and hematocrit due to blood loss.
Precautions & Prevention of Habitual Abortion
- More frequent prenatal visits
- Follow recommended medical advice carefully.
- Eat well-balanced diet.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
Note: You can contact to Professor Hakim Dilshad Hussain for Further information about Habitual Abortion .
0092 303 7563684