Sanuf fennel seeds
Fennel seed is a highly aromatic and flavorful herb. It is derived from a shrub which is an erect aromat. Fennel seeds are pale greenish in colour and have a faint sweet and refreshing flavour.
Fennel seed powder
Fennel seeds are air dried and grounded into fine powder. Powdered fennel seed powder is available ready-made in stores. One can select according to brand preference. The powder has to be stored in air-tight bottles away from moisture and pests. It keeps fresh for 5-6 months. Always choose the fennel seed powder made from organically grown fennel. In INidan cooking fennel powder is widely used to flavour all vegetable and meat dishes. It can be liberally sprinkled on soups, salads and stocks to flavour them. It can also be spread on pasta, pizza and eggs. It can also flavour dal, sambhar and other bean dishes. Fennel powder is also used in chicken and fish dishes. Fennel powder is used in marinades.
Roasted fennel seeds powder is also hugely used in cooking, To make roasted fennel seeds powder, dry roast the fennel seeds on medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till it emits an pleasant aroma, cool and dry gring and store in air – tight container. It will stay fresh for 2 to 3 months.
- The plant originated in the Mediterranean countries and it was introduced to Europe, North America and Asia in the middle ages. It is a round the year plant which can grow up to 1.5 m in length. The leaves of the plant resemble feathers and the flowers are yellow in colour. The flowering of the plant generally starts during the peak summer period. In India, it is being cultivated in regions such as Punjab, Assam, Maharashtra and Gujarat.
Chemical constituents Fennel seeds are used as spice and for their medicinal properties. The seeds of Fennel consist of about 90% of volatile oil consisting of anethole, fenchone, methyl-chavicol, flavonoids, coumarins like bergapten, linolenic acid, palmitic acid, oleic acid and sterols were found in fennel seeds. Fennel Seeds or Saunf Health benefits Fennel seeds are known to provide certain health benefits, some of which include the following:
- Anti-oxidant activity: Fennel seeds are a good source of antioxidants. Regular consumption of these antioxidants can be guard internal organs from the damage caused by free radicals and toxins released during the process of metabolism.
- Control of blood pressure: Fennel seeds help in lowering blood pressure in case of hypertension. Tests have shown that fennel seeds can bring down blood pressure. Fennel seeds controlled blood pressure by excreting excess amounts of sodium and potassium in the body.
- Protects liver: The volatile oils present in fennel seeds can protect the liver. Studies have shown that fennel seeds can protect liver from various chemicals that can attack liver. The study concluded that fennel essential oil has potent hepatoprotective properties.
- Good for gastric troubles: Fennel seeds are also good for gastrointestinal issues. Studies on fennel seeds suggest that they possess anti-ulcerogenic properties and healing of gastric lesions.
- Anti-bacterial properties: The volatile extracts from fennel seeds have anti-bacterial properties. Tests on various harmful bacteria such as Bacillus subtilis, Aspergilus niger and Cladosporium cladosporiodes yielded positive result.